Journey of Our Faith

Let us each determine to be faithful so that by His grace we may be together throughout all eternity.
We have this hope— Hope in the coming of the Lord!

Our journey of  faith began in 1899 with evangelist D. C. Babcock Sr., who came to Newport News to organize a Seventh-day Adventist Church; his first meeting was held in a tent with the assistance of evangelist Elder Strickland.

Charter members of the church were Mr. W. S. Scheuermann, Mrs. Martha Ware and Mrs. Mary Fulcher.  This small group of three worshipped in private homes.  Times were hard and money was scarce.  There were no funds for a church, so Mr. and Mrs. Sherman, who joined the church at a  later date,  sold their home to buy the lumber.  The first church was built in 1901, a modest one room building located  on 24th street  in   Newport  News. Then in 1918 the first church school was established - a one room built in the back of the church; Mrs Ruth D. Fox was the first teacher.  In 1920, the church bought a building owned by the Methodists located on 45th street, which had a seating capacity for 150 people.  Also, the school had grown to 20 students.

In 1946, the church started to make plans for a new building and in February 1953, the church purchased 200 square feet of land at 3400 Kecoughtan Road, our present location.  In May of 1953, the congregation moved for two years to Redman Hall on 25th Street, while the new church was being built.

On April 20, 1956, the ribbon cutting ceremony of the new church took place - the membership was 249 people.  In November 1960, a new section was added that housed the church office, the pastor's study, and the new Junior Academy with grades 1 through 8, 33 students and 4 teachers.

In the mid 80's, the first major renovation took place and a new organ was purchased and later dedicated to David C. Babcock, our church organist from 1942 to 1991.

On October 23, 1999, we celebrated our Centennial of existence in the Hampton Roads area.  From the very first vision of Elder D. C. Babcock, Sr., we have seen the Lord's blessings that made our church grow from a small beginning in a home to the present structure.  The many very active departments established within the church, such as Community Services, "Women and Children Ministries", Personal Ministries, and Prison Ministries, have been working continuously in the Hampton Roads communities to help, to heal, and to spread God's Word.  Their motto is:  "We Feed Mind, Body and Soul."

D. C. Babcock, Sr.
D. C. Babcock, Sr.
The First Baptism in Hampton Roads Summer 1930
The First Baptism in Hampton Roads Summer 1930
The Babcock Family
The Babcock Family